View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Shure Beta 52a and AKG D112 - Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I think the reason the 112 sounds more "open" is because is has a somewhat flatter frequency response. The 52 has a more pre-EQd contoured response curve.

In fact, the 112 SHOULD be more tweakable because it gives you more even frequencies to start with. My D6 is even more contoured than the 52, and while I like it fine, it is pretty much a one trick pony. You can't easily add frequencies in that the mic doesn't pick up to start with, but you can cut out the ones you don't want.

If I had it to do over, I'd buy the 112. But since I live on a shoestring, I'll make do with what I have.
That's a good point. I actually scooped the mids a bit on these recordings and I probably shouldn't have done that on the Beta 52. Next time, I'll keep the mids more flat on the board to see how that works.

Everyone - Thanks again for the input. Listening back to my video on anything other than a setup with a sub sounds really clicky. Listen with a sub or nice headphones that can represent low freq's and you'll hear what I heard when I made the video. Both mics THUMP when you listen back with a nice system.