View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 04:09 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Anybody switch from double to single?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Also like what was said above by Drumming: "Without the double pedal you are forced to develop your right foot." I don't understand that at all. Are you saying you don't have the mental discipline to keep your left foot off of the double pedal while you develop your right foot skills with just the main pedal?
No, but there are times when you're in the middle of a very intense section of the music, and it's crying out for some double bass work, and if you don't have the double pedal, you will find a way to satisfy the music without it, and that usually means extra effort with the one pedal.

Why use a double if you're just going to ignore it? If it's there, and the music calls for it, I'm going to play it. If it's not there, and the music calls for it, you find another way.

In a practice setup, sure, you may as well leave it there and work on both single and double approaches. I'm talking about actual performing situations. There is absolutely a mental aspect to whether you have it there or not, and your playing changes. Try it and you'll see what I mean.