View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Shure Beta 52a and AKG D112 - Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
The D112 was a touch deeper sounding on your bass drum. The Beta 52 sounds good on smaller bass drums, but it had a little more click in the sound, which some people like.
On my bass drum, I like a D112 the best. The Beta 52 sounds a little 'boofy' on my bass drum, for the tuning I use, the small amount of muffling, and size of it.

On your D112 and overheads section, it seemed to sound fuller overall. Not saying the 52 can't sound the same, but if you didn't change any settings between them, the D112 just sounded a touch fuller, even if by a slight margin.

You'd do well with either. No wrong choice.
Hey Karl, I know you play big bass drums, but I'm not sure if you have a microphone hole in the bass drum head? How do you position your D112?

This is my first time actually owning REAL bass drum microphones and since I don't mess around, I picked them both up to try. LOL

Most of my previous videos were using a Shure SM57 in the bass drum. Just recently, I started trying my Sennheiser e609 and it was getting more lows. But when I hooked up these REAL bass drum mics, I was pretty shocked at the depth of the tone. The low end is captured in ways those other mics couldn't for obvious reasons (design.)

Anyway, it turns out that I do like the bass drum mics inside the bass drum setup a "typical" way with it being 4-5" from the batter head and pointing slightly towards where the beater impacts the batter head.

I'm curious of your mic positions (or anyone else too?)