View Single Post
Old 09-16-2013, 02:35 PM

Default Re: My new (to me) PDP M5 kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveDrummer View Post
Haha that's too cool Dignan! :)

As for a piccolo, I personally had one 10 years ago with my Pearl Exports and I believe it too was Pearl and a 13x3. Nothing special just a cheap steel one I believe. I got it to similate David Silveria's snare sound used in the early days. Though I'm currently looking at different avenues regarding snare sound. I like a nice tight, high tone pop, like used in Gospel drumming and I'm also starting to like the deeper snares for a fuller sound. I'm leaning toward 13x7 myself currently.

Anyways, just to get something behind the kit for now I would say go for it. For a similar Evans setup that I use with Remo, I would go with a Power Center Reverse Dot or an EC1 Reverse Dot with a Hazy 200 or 300. I use a Diplomat snare side so I believe that would be more like the Hazy 200. If it rings too much get some Moongel and slap a piece on it.
Once again I appreciate your advice. It's sort of funny you mention the 13x7 snare. I just found this on CL http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/4064137945.html for $50 and am considering it. I've never played a snare of those proportions (13" and 6" depth). It actually looks to me like it may be 7" deep. I like tight, cracky sounding snares. Could I achieve that sound with this Sonor snare?