View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 08:02 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsTony? View Post
put......down....the bong
haha ... the world would be a better place if more people picked it up once in a while :)

I was keen on space, the mind and strange phenomena from toddlerhood. I suppose most people grow out of it and don't allow themselves to feel the same wonder at the inherent strangeness of existence. For a long time I pretended to be grown up and be too sensible for such distractions, but it was a lie. I always dug it and now I'm retired ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Deep and provocative thinking. I especially like the concept that consciousness may be just another bodily process, like digestion. Freaky! Virtually all creatures have some kind of consciousness so this is interesting to consider. One thing that occurred to me: consider that bacteria are just cells adapted to living outside a body and multicelled organisms evolved as collections of highly specialized bacteria that rely on each other for safety, mobility, protection, nutrition, water, etc. So our real purpose in life could be nothing more than providing a place for single-celled organisms to thrive for a little while.

I agree the bottom line is we don't know. Like you, I don't fill the knowledge gap with jellyheaded speculation about UFOs, supernatural beings, conspiracies and other stuff. All the items you mentioned are knowable and understandable and it is possible that someday, we will have the answers.
I think current understanding is that our multicellular bodies are the state of the art "survival machines" evolved by our genes over millions of years. The constant cat and mouse adaptations of predator and prey - starting with one bacteria having a slightly harder outer covering that survived better than its less protected peers. Dawkins's Selfish Gene is a great read and explains a lot of things.

My own guess is there's some kind of spooky woo woo behind the intentionality and drive of life - nothing that will contradict scientific observation, though. Having said that, here's a video that suggests that chemistry can create something that behaves like life www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpMR9jWzP8U

Soundcloud stream