View Single Post
Old 09-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Renegade

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
I've actually seen people with a few prehensile features. You know, able to move their scalp, double-jointed fingers, caveman-like facial bone structure.
lol - I guess genetics doesn't operate very neatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
Like Miley Cyrus twerking? I think culture is going through a regression of sorts. Sure, there's some avante garde work and some of it may be good. But for the majority of people, culture is shows like Jersey Shore or a nipple slip. There was a recent study that said if I'm sitting in a room with three other Asian guys, one of us is the rapist. In Europe, people are increasingly voting for the right wing after being outbred by people that migrate to their countries to escape poverty caused by rampant theft, murder and pillage in the guise of colonialism and the "white man's burden".

Sure, there's good stuff. But it's buried under a pile of Gagnam crap, which sadly, is more representative of world culture nowadays than rock n'roll.

... You wouldn't believe how bad some people have it, Anon La Ply
The scale of human suffering boggles my mind. I have no idea how some people survive the things they do. Every day I am grateful to have the life I have. Really, if you're born in middle or upper class society last century you are amongst the luckiest creatures to have ever lived in the history of the Earth. As you suggest, that gave us a whole lot more capacity for at least indulging in the illusion of free will.

There are bad places and situations and it's easy to list disasters - but think of all those creatures having their gizzards sucked out of them while they're alive, constantly on the lookout because they could be eaten at any moment. And until relatively recently people lived nowhere near as long and there was high infant mortality.

We are not just lucky, we are insanely lucky, even if high population, environmental degradation and resource scarcity (crowding, inflation, warfare) is causing some discomfort. We are luckier than the next generation too.

Things will get much worse before they get better - everyone can see it happening and no one has a clue what to do about it. Some welcome it as the coming "end of days" (yikes!). It looks to me like we're in a growth, decline and renewal cycle.