View Single Post
Old 09-11-2013, 01:40 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJames View Post
I'm not convinced that we are evolving. I am convinced that evolution happens, and and happened to get us here, but modern medicine and lifestyles have largely severed the link between genetic "fit" and reproductive success.
It's true that gene survival seems more a matter now of proclivity than opportunity. Still, evolution happens in time scales that don't allow us to assess our own changes. We know we are taller and more robust than ancestors hundreds of years ago. Apparently that's mostly diet. We are certainly different to cave people - forehead, chin, teeth etc.

However, human culture is evolving rapidly and appears to be driving our increasing integration with technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggae_Mangle View Post
It could actually be quite sweeping. Think of the Neanderthal-Homo Sapien conflicts. Extinction of an entire race at the hands of the superior race. Might not be generations at all.

In that sense, our own extinction could be brutally sudden and unexpected. Nuclear war could do this, easy.
Anything could happen. A rogue planet could hurtle into our solar system and knock the Each off its orbit into deep space too.

An event that wipes out humanity would need to be extraordinary, given that people live in so many little pockets around the globe. I think the real tragedy would be the loss of culture and progress - for there to be nothing to pass on to the next generation and for the survivors to revert to stone age behaviour and lifestyles (and 20 year life spans).

Some people would suggest that that's how humans should live - in touch with nature blah blah. If someone enjoys not being protected from the elements, having no mod cons and having an everage lifespan of 20 fearful, parasite infested years, they can have it. I am no Mad Max (or Tina Turner), heroically scrabbling over the last scraps ... when the good stuff is gone, so am I.

YouTube

Off-the-wall