View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Roland SPD-SX Sampling vs. Octapad SPD-30 Phrasing, etc.

I have an SPDSX (or SPDS?) and too would like to know how to use it. It sits in its case out of sight and I forget I have it around :-) I have Ableton Live 8 and a Roland RD700SX piano that haven't touched much either, sadly.

I haven't searched for any SPDSX threads, but it would be nice to have a thread dedicated to that.

The only thing I've done with mine is record a two bar phrase on several pads then merge them and assign the whole thing to yet another pad, so that when I hit it, it would play all the parts together. I don't know if that's called sampling or phrasing. I'd have to look that up. Don't even know where the manual is, although I'm sure I can download it.

I see the advantage to all this as being able to perform live as a "one woman band" if you will. Definitely would be unique in that not many drummers are doing it. But rather than program the SPDSX via its pads, would be easier to play on the RD700SX, record it to Ableton Live, then download to SPDSX, assigning an entire composition to a single pad.

Steph