View Single Post
Old 09-01-2013, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Hi-Hat Stepping (Lift & Close on every beat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdisease View Post
Hello there,

I am desperate to learn how to do what I think would be described as hi-hat steps (open & close) using 8th notes (or if this does not describe what I mean, opening and closing the hi-hat on every beat like Chadd Smith in Californication and Dom Howard from Muse in a few songs).

I cannot get my left foot to play independently from the bass drum in this instance. When I try, I either start copying what I am doing on the bass drum or copying what I am doing on the hi-hat onto the bass drum.

I am able to do most other combinations, like alternating between hi-hat and bass drum every other note but this has been beyond me for a while and I haven't been able to find any material or advise on this particular subject.

I would be extremely grateful if you could share your experience and advice.

Thank you so much in advance,

Shaun.
I used to be like this. It was as simple as slowing WAY down and counting. I mean slow as in....there were huge gaps sometimes between each note. Granted I wasn't always sober practicing it...but I would sit there at my desk and practice on my lap for like 8 hours a day sometimes... I practiced lots of independence exercises. I used to play Rh Lf Rf Lf and throw a diddle around it. so RR lh rf lf, rh LL rf lf, rh lh RR lf...etc etc