View Single Post
Old 08-29-2013, 08:53 PM

Default Re: Pre-recording woes

We were about to go with a reputable studio in town who charged almost $1000 per song but then we realized that we'd rather just record a couple of songs every 3-4 months and once we get an album worth of material and eventually released the album. That way it's not hurting anyone's wallets. The guy is younger than I am and I've listened his work and the band is pretty impressed with his mixes. He's done full production work, some remixes from different studios, and the band as a whole was pretty impressed so we went with him, plus he's charging $300 per song, flat rate...as long as it takes. I'm hoping to lay the tracks down before the weekend. If it takes me all weekend then I got some serious practicing to do lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsabol View Post
You just have to be comfortable with the song and be able to feel it coming. That either comes with listening to the tune over and over and over again, or writing out the form to the measure and learning it like you would a regular chart - following along as you play and/or listen.

In regard to the rest of your post.. that's a crappy situation. Something has to be said for the fact that your fans are already familiar with the existing version, or changing too much may not have a desired effect. You say this guy is "local".. what is his experience? how successful were the other tracks he helped produce? Have this talk with your bandmates, but unless you explicitly given this guy production credit on the track, there's no reason you have to take his advice.

EDIT. just saw that you said he was the producer. so scratch all that rant.