View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Our unconscious mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I don't think there's a downside to rationality. We all have a right to our opinions, but they're not all equal. Sometimes, you're confronted with someone who's just much smarter than you, and then you got to bow down to that sh**.
Agreed. They are smarter than anyone I know (and I play in a band with three academics and a lunatic), so I like to hear what they have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduin View Post
Peter Watts wrote a brilliant work of science fiction thatís all about the unconscious mind and how almost everything everybody does is below the level of consciousness.
http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blindsight_(Watts_novel)
Thanks Anduin - psych stuff and fantasy/sci fi - my sweet spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
...I wonder about the role of selective neural disinhibition (attention) and whether that fovia of supression associated with attention becomes diffuse at times where we transition out of concious control dominated playing.

Anyone working on a psych or medical grad degree considering this?
From experience, on a good day I'm in a flow state with regular interruptions from the conscious mind - sometimes useful, sometimes BS.

At last Last Sunday's gig I caught myself looking out the window as I played (nice day, tree-lined suburban scenery). Meanwhile I wasn't playing inappropriately. When I "came out of it" only our bassist was looking at me. What do do you when caught napping? Smile and reconnect. All these dynamics going on in a split second ... no doubt more.

Meanwhile in that moment at no stage was I focusing on ... tempo, volume, tone production, acoustics, the mix, staying loose, stroke, grip, posture, burying the beater, internal dynamics, supporting the vocalist, locking in with the bass, accenting with the piano, rudiments, looking up at the other players, looking at the audience, putting on a show, stick tricks, picking out one audience member, boogying or rocking out or cruising, adding drama, adding motifs, taking it down, burning, aiming for a Zen state, the Moeller, coordination, the drum kit, heads, pedals, sticks, the inconsistency of Zildjians etc, clarity, keeping up with the tune, reading, transcriptions, faithful cover versions, overplaying, underplaying, staying on the grid, shading, ghosting, rimshots, tuning, stroke placement, accents, arranging, psychic connections, level of complexity or technical advancement, what any drummers in the audience might think ... I could go on ...

The point is I wasn't worrying about ANY of that stuff, though maybe unconsciously. In hindsight, I should have paid more attention to the bassist at the time :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I'm not ignoring your thread Grea, I just don't seem to have the time to get to it, but I will! Cause it's great stuff. Mindbending even.
No drama, Lar. I sometimes feel obliged to say something on threads where I would have otherwise lurked, because I've commented on so many threads that if I don't comment threads related to my interests then it looks like I'm not supporting the OP. The social dynamics and etiquettes of online interaction are in their infancy.

Soundcloud stream