View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Our unconscious mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Around 4m55s http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7DgCrziI8#t=4m55s, Hal Galper talks about how the unconscious mind - or as he calls it, "the intuitive level" - is so much faster than our conscious mind.

Thing is, I always hear that when playing music (or anything) the conscious mind needs to be suppressed in order to get into the zone. Yet the conscious mind is an attribute that's given humans dominance over the earth and is obviously incredibly useful. Just not when you are trying to perform at your best. The best foot we put forward always seems to be that "shadow self" - that's when you're "being yourself" ... when you are less aware of what you're doing. We seem to be designed to fly blind.

Love that McGurk Effect. Amazing how you can't adjust to it.
I can't access the link from work, but I think this is probably what we mean when we talk about "overthinking" something. That's the conscious mind f***ing up the subconscious mind. When the term "choking" is applied to someone botching up a performance in a pressure situation, I think it's the same thing. Learning NOT to let that happen is important to success, I think.