View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Our unconscious mind

this is a GREAT post ! i have been into Hal Galper's improv & performance concepts for about a year now. this stuff will absolutely change your playing in incredibly profound ways. you can literally watch "the instrument is an illusion" on youtube, run down to the woodshed & hear the results just goofin. i continue to work this stuff & "stay in the zone" when i play w/ my internal dialog as dormant as possible. i am working on memorizing tunes more for reading gigs as this helps the process. reading gigs are an odd mix of logical / intuitive, something i am always struggling with.

anyhow, Vinnie has been talking about this concept for years & his 2012 quote from MD sums it up nice. "thought is the enemy of flow" (love this!). i think of intuitive playing like an app running in the background on a iPhone set to "do not disturb". :-D

"...it's called flow. Our ability to control things and analyze things is in direct opposition to a mantra that I have: Thought is the enemy of flow. People ask me, “What do you think about when you’re playing?” The answer is basically nothing. Thought happens in a completely different way out of flow. It’s contemplative and analytical and problem solving. In flow, it’s completely different. It’s like a real-time program running in the background that doesn't interfere with what’s going on. The ability to adapt in a given moment is beyond the scope of another type of focused thought process.” -- Vinnie Colaiuta (from Modern Drummer, Jan 2012)