View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Renegade

Default Re: Our unconscious mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Grea- the link didn't work for me. I'm trying to recall the clip as I've seen so many of Hal's clips.
Whoops. Thanks for saying. Fixed now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7DgCrziI8#t=4m55s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
I hear you about "being designed to fly blind". Timothy Gallway, in his seminal work "The Inner Game of Tennis" does a remarkable job of illuminating the "shadow self" you refer to.

He uses the terms "Self 1" and "Self 2" to describe the two. He also has several methods in there of accessing "Self 2".

I highly recommend his work if you are looking at applying this concept to your playing/life.

And the McGurk effect is crazy. Makes one wonder what we can really be sure of if we can't even hear a simple sound correctly.
Dad used to have that book. I had a look at it years ago and the next time I played I stank so I put it aside :) I guess I wasn't ready for it at the time. Might be worth giving it another try.

I guess what we experience is only filtered reality anyway. All our senses are limited by strength and range. There are squillions of things going on at any given time that we fail to see, hear, smell, taste, feel or sense. We have evolved to detect most of what we need to survive and not much more. I guess there must be some evolutionary advantage in having the speech processors in our brain lack that flexibility.

When I think of the idea of "flying blind" - letting "Self 2" take over - it calls to mind ideas like trust, faith, confidence, submission, letting go and courage.

On the other hand, I find it strange and frustrating that we humans are seemingly not allowed to be fully present when we do our best work. Poor old Self 1 has to largely sit on the sidelines while Self 2 rides to glory.

Soundcloud stream