View Single Post
Old 08-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: can a better pedal improve my technique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentcn View Post
What, exactly, are you doing to improve your foot technique? If the answer is shopping for pedals, well...
Well put, Brent.

It's never an easy question to answer. There's no doubt a quality pedal can free you up from limitations......but it's no guarantee that it's actually the pedal that is the problem in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjohnbonham View Post
Now grant it, I haven't put in the hours of learning how to get complicated mult-strokes out of the pedal but when I do practice on it, it feels really awkward and cumbersome. Am I feeling this solely because I'm a noob drummer or can a crappy pedal contribute to this? In other words if I upgrade my pedal will it help improvement of my technique?
To me this^^^ speaks volumes mate.....especially the bold sections. It's not uncommon for younger or inexperienced players to blame the "crappy" gear when more often than not it's the Indian, not the arrow. I don't mean to lecture you, but I've been there myself. I used to complain about my "crappy drum kit" and how I'd be better if I had a new one.......right up until my old man sat down and smoked it on the kit I had. He handed me back my sticks and said nothing more than "sounds alright to me". It was a valuable lesson to learn.

Yes, quality gear can assist you in improving your technique.....but it's not a guarantee. Especially if it's not the real problem to begin with. The pedal can't play for you. You still need to put in the work. If you're not putting in the time and effort then it won't matter what pedal you have. Something to think about.