View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: can a better pedal improve my technique?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Kind of a tricky question. I'd say a qualified yes, to a small degree. But practice and technique is far more important.

The qualifier is defining 'better'. I had a very inexpensive, beginner's pedal, that I could really wail with. Not sure exactly why - probably a combination of size, spring tension, beater length/weight, and so on.

Anyways, the point is that most drummers would probably laugh at that pedal if you called it 'better'. But still, I could play faster, and it felt more natural, than some much more expensive pedals I've tried.
Maybe it's better to respond to the OP's question with a question:

What, exactly, are you doing to improve your foot technique? If the answer is shopping for pedals, well...

A good teacher would be able to look at your current ability, and write down at least 5 exercises to practice in order to improve your technique and speed. If you practice those 5 things for 2 minutes each day (10 minutes a day total), you should see significant improvement in 2 weeks, and serious improvement in 6 weeks.

And you should buy a decent pedal as a reward for your hard work. Before you buy, try out all those exercises on a bunch of pedals at your local shop. Because of your practice, you will be much more aware of what makes a particular pedal feel good. Without that practice under your belt, you'll just buy the pedal that looks cool, or that someone else said is very good.