View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Striking the Hi Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
A statement like, Oh you have to hit your hi hats such and such a way, is rediculous. Hi hats are so expressive, how you hit it depends on how you are feeling what you're playing. The fact that you're cracking them, hmmm. Where on the cymbal do the cracks appear?
my point isn't necessarily about breaking hi hat cymbals or asking what am i doing wrong. i've broken a couple of top hi hat cymbals over the course of probably 10 years. each one, after several years of heavy use, getting a VERY very small edge crack and eventually expanding until i have to replace it.

my point is rather this: There is definitely a school of thought that is widely accepted on the correct way to hit a crash cymbal. Hitting it with a glancing blow allowing it to open up. Avoid hitting the edge of the cymba and not playing straight on or "through" the cymbal.

I'm just curious to see if anyone else had a school of thought, or had been taught a particular method for striking the hi hat cymbals, because there doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there concerning that.

Last edited by CarterWilson; 08-20-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: grammar