View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 11:39 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Default Re: The legendary Steve Gadd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxRoach
It's all relative. I don't think the idea of that whole battle was to be musical. I mean, battles are rarely musical. Now if it was a battle to see who could groove with a band the best, Gadd would rape all of them exponentially. But I mean, you can't disrespect the fact that Weckl and Vinnie are ..... flashy. It is very impressive what they can do.....but I mean, obviously a guitarist isn't gonna care how fast someone can play (even though he kind of should so that he knows what is possible within a band). I'd love to just see a battle with a backing band behind them and just hit some solid grooves with a few fills. That would be pretty funny.....because it would be no contest for Gadd. But let's get real here.....Gadd was kind of 'lagging' in that battle....for what the battle stood for at least. His style was respectable definitely.......and what he did was so solid that it still blew me away, but drum battles should show off chops, should they not? Or maybe they shouldn't.......=\ iuno.
Why? If you take it like that then you turn it into WFD all over again. I think that 3-man battle would be a lot less interesting with Gadd replaced with another chops monster. It's a really well-balanced trio:

Weckl: Smooth pristine technique
Vinnie: Fire and aggression
Gadd: Groove coming out of your eyeballs.

Put those three together and you've got the best drummer on the planet!