View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Roland V-Drums - Opinions?

I bought the Roalnd TD10 when it came out, and eventually sold it and got a TD20S, and I made large kits out of them, played all types of music, recording and live and I ended all that in Dec of last year when I sold the TD20S... Simple reason: mesh heads, no matter how loose you tune them will mess up your technique. Playing mesh is too much like a trampoline and will make you think you are faster than you are, especially when doing doubles and Moeller technique.

Now (since Dec. 2011) I play acoustic drums for a few bands/artists and that's what I mainly record for my live band. But, based on recommendation, I tried the Yamaha DTX560 (or 7XX series) and I was sold, plus they are much much cheaper ($1,500 in Feb, this year). I expanded my 560K kit to be similar to my acoustic setup and I use Toontrack EZDrummer (or Superior Drummer) through Ableton Live. I don't bother with the Yamaha internal sounds, but use a few EZX expansion packs and I record at home based on requests from artists I know - they send me an MP3, I send them midi files back as they use the Toontrack. When I practice with Toontrack Solo (has a metronome), it really helps me get my chops and timing in check, so when I rehearse with either of my bands (2-3X's weekly) using REAL drums, it's not that big of a transition, in fact I think it helped with my doubles since the Yamaha TCS pads require a bit more effort and feel more like laying into a drum rather than the trampoline effect of Roland mesh. As for playing live, I only use acoustic. I did electronics once (with Roland TD20S) and the hihat was an issue all night - so, never again, plus there's really no substitute for acoustic drums, even with the advance of multi-sample, multi-layered libraries.

It's amazing what we can do with acoustic drums - a timeless art-form.

Well that's my 2 cents, hope it helps - do yourself a favor and try both types of heads, cymbals and etc and figure out what works best for you. Good luck.