View Single Post
Old 08-13-2013, 12:37 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post

Have you seen the Future Timeline website? When you think how much things have changed in just the last 20 years ... given that the pace of change is increasing, in another 20 years we won't know the joint. It seems like the good things in the world are getting better (social progress, technology, economic systems) and the bad things are getting worse (crowding, inequality, resources and natural die-back).
Not yet, but I'll check it out. Sounds interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolving_machine View Post
There is no such thing as pre-destiny. We all make our own future by our actions and the actions that others do to us.

I realize my opinion may be offensive to those that believe strongly in "pre-destiny." I do apologize for that, and am sorry that it offends you. To me this is a question that is close to a religious point of view. I know religion, politics and sex are topics that should not be discussed in this forum, but since this post has gone to the length that it has, I assume that it is ok to discuss and post my opinion on the topic.
What I don't understand is why people get offended when someone has a different POV. I am in no way offended that you don't believe in pre-destiny, just as hopefully, you are not offended that I do. I think it's re-diculous to get offended over differing opinions, especially when the subject is so personal and full of unknowns. I don't know the facts, no one does, but I am inclined a certain way and some differ. Cool! Nothing wrong there.

As far as I can tell, the true meaning of life...is to reproduce. That's it. Simple. The rest is just fun, or torture, depending on your POV. But basically, the person with the most descendants wins.