View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrInsanePolack View Post

I've read this like a half dozen times now, and while I wont pretend to understand everything it has to say, isn't the computer system that uses the FIR filter the cause for the rooms digital correction? I stand by every effect has a cause.
Oh yeah, I don't understand it either. But it's an acausal system, so I thought that might be something recognizable for the forum that also fit the bill. It's "pregnant with the future," so to speak.

Quote:
If cause and effect is a tool of destiny, wouldn't that mean that destiny is a multi-sided beast?
It would mean that destiny has consciousness, which would have some odd repercussions.

"Destiny" and "determinism" are two different things, though. Choice has to be a crucial element in destiny, because destinies can be fulfilled; it's a belief system. Determined systems don't have room for choice in the sense that we can make a choice that isn't determined by the system itself - it's a mechanism that exists outside belief. This is why compatibilist systems tend to suggest local or social determinism.