View Single Post
Old 08-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Hearing protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
If you have ever been to a drum day (go to http://drumdaytulsa.com/) there is a lot of down time between evens so EACH drummer plays his/her own thing. It is too loud to do this without ear protection (sounds like sitting under a fully revved jet engine) but I want to play along with some recordings I plan on taking. Can I use the noise canceling headphones WITH the ear plugs or do I take the ear plugs out when I use the head phones? I know this is a stupid question but I am a stupid guy who has never done this before.
If your headphones cancel out enough exterior sound where you don't have to turn them up too loud to play along, then you should be able to take out the earplugs.

It depends on how effective your headphones are to the background noise. Just make sure you don't turn the volume up too loud if they are not that effective.

I do almost the same thing when I play along or record a cover. I use in ear monitors (ear plug type) and then cover those with shooting range ear muffs. In your case, if you're nothing is mic'd, you'll want to hear your drumming as well.