View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 10:19 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Even with Panspermia, you still need that first replication.
That's why I mentioned the Miller-Urey experiment. They were able to create amino acids in a lab using only water, methane, ammonia, hydrogen, and electricity. It was to simulate the earths atmospheric conditions when earth was still young and lifeless. As we know, amino acids are essential for life. Panspermia just adds more fuel to the fire.

Quote:
Haha - got me there. Obviously, I don't know any more than anyone else and life is so far only found on Earth, but its existence cannot be denied! I don't think it's any more of a fluke than the fact that stars and planets form. They only form if conditions are right too.

Personally, if I was a betting gal I'd put money on us discovering microscopic life in the water tables under the Martian surface. As 8 said, there could also be forms of life out there that we are unable to recognise or detect.
Are you familiar with the Drake equation?

Chances are if there is life outside our solar system we will never know. But if inside our solar system it exists, I would either go the Mars route or possibly Europa.

Quote:
Everyone on this forum plays music. No cockroaches play music. Do you need more?

Today's computers are better than those developed in the 1960s. In the same way we are better than cockroaches.

When it comes down to species survival, bacteria will kick cockroaches' sorry spiky asses (apart from the fine specimen in my avatar). They are the most resilient and successful creatures as a group.
Cockroaches might not play music, but they can develop immunities to chemicals and pestacides as required. They also learn when they need to re-colonize due to irate humans! By no means are they dumb. But they have also had more time to evolve than we have.

I was wondering what that was in your avatar. I thought maybe it was a wasp or hornet.

Quote:
Let's take the lie of optimism in sports. Sportspeople have faith that they will win every game, even when the evidence is against them. But they need that attitude to perform at their peak. How about the lie of the placebo effect? We use this lie constantly - it is an essential part of drug testing. Or should we wait until we understand it better?

Take another example - religiosity amongst underprivileged, uneducated people. Often religion is their only comfort in unimaginably difficult lives. We can't tell these people to wait until we have the solutions to rational manipulation of brain dynamics to produce dopamine - they need their salve now. Religion fills the void (despite its many odious aspects). Humans have a lot of evolving to do and in the interim we will devise bandaid solutions to keep us going.
I know nothing of sports other than I like watching it, but wouldn't it be a bit pathetic if the coach said "You can't win this game. So lets go out there and try not to suck too badly!"

I would say the placebo effect is no different than a psychosomatic response, except its a positive reaction instead of a negative one. No lie required, just insert an idea.

I have no comment about the religious. They have the freedom to believe what they want, no matter their social status. I just wish that all the ones I run into knew how to have an objective discussion without getting mad or telling me I'm going to hell.

Quote:
I think we will become more true to ourselves, more in control, less subject to blundering, which is the trend so far.
I sure hope so. Perhaps you have a better outlook on modern society than I do.

Quote:
As time goes on, those of us who are safe from the coming mass population correction will gain greater mastery through our ever closer link with machines. And I think that will be special ...
Mass Population Correction. I like that. If it comes in my lifetime, the machine I will probably form a lifetime bond with will surely have a trigger!

If my destiny was predetermined, and my free will is not mine and it really isn't free, whomever decided my fate was incredibly drunk at the time.