View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
I can't help but wonder if there aren't life forms so much more advanced than us that we don't even realize they exist, because we either don't have the senses to perceive them or they're entwined with things we consider "laws of the universe."

For instance, if you step on an ant, it doesn't know you exist. It doesn't even know it exists. But some force came in and ended its existence. What if things that happen to us, that we cannot perceive a reason for, are things being manipulated by a higher life form?

Someone pass the weed....
Funny thing that we associate deep thought with being wasted :) It's as though sensible, right-thinking people with correct priorities don't waste time with difficult trivia like understanding the nature of reality and the extent of delusionality built into our cultural norms.

I think ants would know they exist, in a similar way as we know we exist when we are infants. There's no existential rumination, of course, but ants certainly know enough of their own existence to recognise danger to themselves and battle like heck to survive - just as we do. They can also differentiate between their nest mates and "foreigners".

How we would come across to ants ... in terms of scale, maybe like an earthquake, twister or cyclone. I've done some cartoons on this topic:

Hmm, this is a more common theme in my toons than I realised ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I see no purpose or meaning and no evidence to demonstrate to the contrary. I hear and see beautiful things ...
If nothing you have come across has provided you with evidence of meaning, what would a world look like with apparent evidence of meaning?

It reminds me of a comment quoted by Richard Dawkins, where a scientist asked a friend:

"Why do you suppose it was natural for man to assume the sun went around the Earth rather than the Earth was rotating?"

His friend replied, "Obviously it just looks as though the sun is going around the Earth".

Lichtenstein replied, "Well, what would it look like if it had looked as though the Earth was rotating?"

It's a trippy thought ... almost as trippy as wondering what a life with hard, measurable evidence of meaning would be like ...