Thread: I hate Macs!
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 01:04 AM

Default Re: I hate Macs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I'm with you on the mice, most of the time.
Absolutely. One-button mice are and have always been a crime against nature. Hate the dadgum things, refuse to use 'em. Luckily, OS X comes right out of the box with great support for third-party multibutton mice, or I'd have had a much harder time transitioning over from the Suns. I've been a 3-button mouse person since the early days of SunOS on my first Sun 1 in about '83, and that is simply the way my brain works to this day. Luckily, HP still makes a proper 3-button USB optical mouse (model M-UY-101, for those who care). It is a plug-and-play device on OS X, especially since so many of the applications I use run under X. Even with my laptop, I carry a small 2-button-plus-wheel mouse, and I can do what I need to do (although that scroll wheel is a pain in the butt as the middle button: it always scrolls a little bit when clicked on). Just give me the ability to select and adjust selection with the left and middle buttons, and pop up a context/command menu with that right click, and I'm pretty much good to go.

For native Mac apps, I guess one of these days I'll have to try to get used to this newfangled multitouch trackpad stuff. It hasn't been germane for me thus far. It strikes me as more of a curiosity than anything else, since most of my machines are back at Snow Leopard in any case. I use it to zoom on my phone, and that's about it. Computers ought to act like computers, not like phones, IMNSHO.

But then again, I'm a dinosaur. When Sun was developing the Sparcstation 1, there was an unofficial team tee shirt made that made the management quite uncomfortable, and wearing it around the place was discouraged. At the time, the corporate slogan was "The network is the computer!". The tee shirt said "The network is a piece of wire, the *computer* is the computer: we are sorry if this has caused you any inconvenience..."

Last edited by skod; 08-10-2013 at 01:16 AM.