View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 11:04 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Has anyone ever heard the saying, everything happens for a reason? That seems to ring very true in my life.
Hindsight is always 20-20. It very easy to justify and reason through past events, especially ALL past events. For some reason, humans have a innate tendency to do this well and often ( - was there a reason we evolved that way??). But when trying to predict future events using the inducted reasoning, this theory falls apart, and that's why it doesn't do it for me.

Why did Jimi Hendrix have to choke on his own vomit? Probably because he was laying on his back so when he started to expel what was in his stomach, it stayed in his mouth and inevitably flowed into his wind pipe as he gasped for breath. Yea, but why did he choose to lay on his back? Why wasn't he on his side with a pillow holding him up? As we all know from Breaking Bad, that what you do when you do heroin.. more than likely he knew better. Did some deity spark that decision in his mind? Was there some force that prevented him from taking that preventative measure? Was he an angel whose time on Earth was up? or does god just really not like secular music? Is there such thing as luck? Did he run out? Or was he just really high, and we have to accept that sometimes sh*t happens.

EDIT: Disclaimer: I'm not exactly sure that heroin was invovled in Jimi's death. I'm half assuming it was. I'm not as familiar with the circumstances of his death as some people, so I'm sorry if that puts some people off. The above paragraph is just an example of a thought process.

Quote:
Everything does happen for a reason, but that reason does not have to be "otherworldly"
I see what you are saying, but the implications of "otherworldly" intervention in our "serendipitous" lives is the gist of what we are discussing, otherwise there would be much to discuss. I think we can all agree that events can be broken down to cause and effect (unless we are talked about quantum occurrences, in which case we have to talk about the probability that the effect would or would not occur..)

Last edited by wsabol; 08-09-2013 at 12:03 AM.