View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Need acoustic/electric drum buying advice!

One thing, that Newegg ad doesn't mention specifically what the hardware is. The Gretsch kit doesn't come with any normally except floor tom legs and the tom mounts. So you'd be looking for a hardware pack of cymbal, hi hat and snare stands, a kick pedal and throne, unless that is being added. I wouldn't buy without the clarification.

I don't think I'd try and do a combination hybrid edrum/acoustic kit. I'd do two separate kits. Doing a full head change from mesh heads and triggers would be more of a pain than it's worth to me.

Personally I'd look for something like a used Roland or Yamaha Edrum kit, best you can find for $1000 bucks, and a used acoustic drum kit with cymbals and everything for $1000.
I bought a yamaha dtxtreme IIS e-drum set for 1100 a couple years ago and love it. It would have been there top of the line 4 or 5 years ago. It's all I play at home where volume is a concern.

With edrums, the biggest thing is the pad material - you need to try them all to see what you prefer. Mine have old school rubber pads, which don't bother me at all, the snare is the only one you hit so much that makes much difference to me. Most people swear by the Roland mesh heads.

For drums, any of your typical mid line kits - Yamaha Stage customs, Tama silverstars, Pearl visions, Gretsch Catalinas, Mapex Meridians, etc you can find in the 500ish range, usually including hardware, with some careful digging. That leaves you with some room for cymbals. I'd stay away from lower line budget drum and cymbal Iines.