View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 12:52 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Almeyda View Post
I can't believe I'm getting into this on a drum forum but here goes...

The realm of philosophy has been crushed by science. Once thorny philosophical questions have largely been reduced to physics.

The philosophical concept of Scientific Determinism (the idea that if one had enough data and enough computing power, one could predict the universe) was destroyed by Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle. This fundamental principle of Quantum Mechanics states that it is impossible to accurately measure both the position and the velocity of a particle because our own measuring methods (shining light or an x ray on it for example) will affect the measurement. We can measure the location or the velocity accurately but never both.

If it is impossible to know 2 key facts about a particle simultaneously then the concept of Scientific Determinism is out. There will always be an uncertainty in any measurement.The world is not pre-destined.

I'm not sure about whether we have free will though, because as LimpyLoo stated earlier, neurology is finding out how much of our actions are actually unconscious and what they are finding is startling.
+1.

To quote Feynman again, its ok to say " I don't know", because its rather accurate".

Where does our Universe end, and Why am I here, are two questions I'd like answered but I aint holding my breath.