View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Renegade

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Whoa....again this hinges only on what *we* 'know' to be true. right?
That's why I said the known universe. It's a small proportion of the whole (whatever that is) but it's still a stupendous amount of area to scour with barely even a hint that there's microbes on other planets or moons let alone more advanced civilisations. More advanced civilisations would surely have made contact or made themselves known if they were within the communication distances SETI operates in.

That tells me is that 1) life itself is pretty special and 2) that humans are extra special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune View Post
Hmmm, yes, but they are not necessarily sustainable in a biosphere of limited resource.
One wonders in the LONG term.....are we doing any better?

Dont get me wrong, I'm not a doomsday-er or anything, but if we look at every organism in the distant past - 3 billion years - it has had a shelf life (except bacteria).
Yes, we're rapidly making the planet less habitable for us and other large species. Nonetheless, we have special mental capacities that are almost certainly unique to us ... how well we use those special attributes is another matter.

Given human nature, it's been inevitable that at some stage we'd become so dominant that we'd deplete and pollute the environment and eventually have a big cull off. The population obviously can't keep increasing forever with natural resources rapidly dwindling. Talk about destiny ...

Still, the inevitable culling of billions does not mean humans will die out entirely or even necessarily lose our technological advances. A smaller human population may yet make incredible strides in the future, including habitation of Mars or even beyond.

Soundcloud stream