View Single Post
Old 08-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Can there be free will in a world where pre-destiny exists?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
If we can agree that all absolutes are a form of perfection...from what I understand, perfection just does not exist in nature. So there is no absolute anything in our universe.
Perfection is an opinion. Most of the religious crowd might argue that God created nature; God is perfect, therefore nature is perfect. I would argue that the perfection of nature is largely irrelevant. The laws that govern our universe are what they are; life on Earth is the way it is because those laws are they way they are. There isn't much more to it than that. edit: not trying to get the thread closed, just speaking generally...

Quote:
Now, if you take those two words away (absolute x 2) it changes things right? To a point where they could co exist?
It depends on how we are defining absolute. In my mind, having absolute freewill makes you an all power genie. I will myself to become a dragon. I will myself to levitate. I will myself to breathe underwater. My will be done.

The only other absolute freewill I could think is simply within the confines of the universe's physical laws. But I think thats already what we've been talking about.

Quote:
If people think and believe they have free will, how would they know if they really didn't?

What if we were pre-destined to have free will? Is that even possible?
There is an excellent Futurama episode on this, fyi.

The point is we don't know if we have freewill or not. More to the point, if we were somehow turn our freewill on and off, would it make our lives any different? No. We act in our daily lives as if we have freewill. Whether our freewill an illusion or isn't a question we can answer. The "future" isn't a place we can experience. There is no way to verify whether your choice at some point in time altered your future, or whether you are simply playing a part in a story that has only one ending regardless of what you think you choose.