View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 02:38 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon La Ply View Post
Nice story, Bo. You come across as a real natural when you drum and sing so it makes sense that some of it is genetic. Must be lovely for music to be a point of family connection. For me, music was a gulf over which my family could only partially cross and, some of them, not at all.

As for ukes, earlier this year the band played "unplugged" at a ukelele night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUTkrfP0nXY but it should be said that a fair few of the earlier performances were hard to sit through. The uke is a double edged sword :)

Interested in this comment of yours, Bo.

"And I've been on YouTube looking at these incredible ukulele players - like any instrument, it's being pushed beyond its island boundaries and like some drumming, it's downright scary what people are doing".

Can you recommend any links?
Thanks, I'd like to think my talent just came from nowhere though ;)

Regarding links, there's one guy with a ton of videos on YouTube that's really pushing the boundaries, and that's Jake Shimabukuro - he even does a solo rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody - and is justly the big ukulele thing right now. Another artist, being touted by people like session man Tom Scott is Brittni Patvia (?), although a really good player, not really pushing it like Jake. Jake is kinda' like Jojo who is pushing the envelope on what you can do with the instrument, I'd check him out. Another older player I really is Kimo Hussey (he's has videos too) and he, along with Lyle Ritz, are kings of jazz ukulele.

My whole life I just heard these traditional Hawaiian songs on ukulele which I guess was a turn-off in my younger days, but I plan on using it to play Beatles, Hendrix, my usual rock covers....and granted others have done it already, but at least I know that it can be done (and not be laughed at:).

I'm excited as I get to pick-up the uke' tomorrow at the FedEx office. It should blow the doors off of that uke I have at home now!