View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ever been so mad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BramVanroy View Post
That just doesn't work for me. I can't just make it funny. My brain seems to block that "No, son, this isn't funny!".
That's because it isnt funny.

I'm not a very experienced or capable drummer; I play purely as a hobby. However that doesn't mean that I take it any less seriously than I would if I earned my living doing it. So when it goes wrong, I wail about it, rather a lot; I think about selling my kits and never ever picking up a drumstick again, but because I know I'm not finished with it yet, I persevere.

I've just started to learn to be kinder to myself: to look back and see how far I've come, and not to beat myself up for not being able to do stuff. I wail to anybody who will listen, and if nobody will, I wail to my private blog. And then I make myself feel better by playing things I can do well, favourite songs or favourite rudiments. If even these go wrong, which they sometimes do, I go back to playing as slowly as necessary in order to do it as perfectly as I'm capable of.

And if this doesn't work, I sit down with several large gins and a couple of cats, and by the next day I can't even remember what the problem was!