View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: One or two favorite sticks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I like the way Vic Firths are weighted. I prefer round tips too. I like the way round tips sound on my ride cymbal. So I go for VF AS 5B, or 5A. (The AS stands for "American Sound") I wish they would make them in nylon tips. I don't understand why they don't. I may have to experiment with dipping the tips in molten plastic. The only VF round nylon tips I could find were an Omar Hakim stick. But those sticks were too forward weighted for me. It was hard doing fast 8th notes with them. I like a more rear weighted stick. Vaters and Pro Marks are too heavy in front for me as well. I like the VF SD line of sticks, but they are made from maple, which is not durable enough and I crack them in a few gigs. I can get 6 months at least, probably more, from a pair of hickory sticks.
I've reached a point where I don't break sticks at all anymore and I usually toss them because the tip chips off and renders the stick a rebound-less mess. I avoided nylon tips for years because of the jazz snob in me but I realized that that superficial stubbornness is wasteful and costly, so I have half nylon and half wood since half my gigs are loud and the other half are not so much. Somehow the nylon tips almost make the stick faster and improve rebound... maybe it's just in my head. I agree with you on the balance thing. Vic Firth sticks are just masterpieces of stick design. I just can't find another brand that makes a stick that feels "right" in my hands.