View Single Post
Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 AM

Default Re: One or two favorite sticks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I like the way Vic Firths are weighted. I prefer round tips too. I like the way round tips sound on my ride cymbal. So I go for VF AS 5B, or 5A. (The AS stands for "American Sound") I wish they would make them in nylon tips. I don't understand why they don't. I may have to experiment with dipping the tips in molten plastic. The only VF round nylon tips I could find were an Omar Hakim stick. But those sticks were too forward weighted for me. It was hard doing fast 8th notes with them. I like a more rear weighted stick. Vaters and Pro Marks are too heavy in front for me as well. I like the VF SD line of sticks, but they are made from maple, which is not durable enough and I crack them in a few gigs. I can get 6 months at least, probably more, from a pair of hickory sticks.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who seems to make sticks last for months. I switch between Vater 5A and VF 5A (the Vater feels just a bit lighter, which helps when I'm either feeling sluggish or maybe when I need a boost for a particularly quick song), and I find these sticks last me easily three or four months.... I play an hour or two almost every day, and I just don't understand how people snap sticks so quickly.... Am I doing something wrong? ;)

I was talking with a drummer Saturday night, and after watching him go through THREE pairs of sticks (Promarks, not sure what model) during the night, I was shocked so I had to ask him. He said that's pretty common for him, he goes through them like toothpicks, two or three pairs every week or so of practice, and more when they play live. They're a pretty heavy rock band, but I was looking at his kit, expecting to see tons of cracked cymbals and mashed rims. But it all looked pretty normal. Even watching him play seemed pretty normal. Odd....