View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Not ready to discuss this with family ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
What a nice post. Warms my heart Bo. Good for you man. Very mature outlook on things. Were you born in Hawaii?
Thanks Mary - I should've just quoted Mark Twain! Definitely alot shorter than what I wrote!

And Larry - no, I was actually born in California. But the family (which is quite large) has traveled back and forth all through the years. My mom was one of nine kids, and my dad was one of three. But on the islands it's true: everybody is your cousin, auntie or uncle, grandparent, so I grew up with this huge extended family. When we threw the first big party at my house for my parents' 50th wedding anniversary, the guest list topped out at 300 or so, and there wasn't anyone there that I'd never seen before.

Now that I think about it, being my dad's son, I think he'd already done what I'm doing. In the 50s, he left to join the army, ended up in Germany. In fact, years ago he told me he didn't want to be a Marine because they always ended up on Guam or some other Pacific Island - which he was trying to get away from too. He settled in Los Angeles after his European stint and brought mom over, and all of their kids were born here. I recall I'd always joked when someone asked where I was from, I'd say "Hawaii via Motown" because I wanted to be a funky soul brother on the drums ever since I was a kid - so apparently this "get away from the family" bit has been going on all my life. And I think in a way, dad did that too - but he never told me if he made a conscious effort to re-connect, he probably did.