View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: What makes your blood boil??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnite Zephyr View Post
Would you prefer that they do it in some back alley clinic using a coat hanger? Because either way they're gonna do it. I'm not saying that it's right, but it is socially responsible to allow women to kill their unborn children in a safe and sanitary environment.
Absolutely.

I'm generally pro-choice (although I'm deeply conflicted on the issue) but an outright ban is not the answer. If anyone's interested, there's a debate going on in South America right now. Chile has an outright ban on abortion but there's a case right now where an 11-year-old girl has been systematically abused by her stepfather and is now 12 weeks pregnant. Due to the outright ban, there is no legal scope for her to have an abortion - which to me is absolutely abhorrent. Here you have an 11-year-old girl who is not educated in matters sexual with profound physical changes already occurring and a pregnancy. She does not understand what it means to have a child (partly due to education) and her own childhood has been cut short by no fault of her own but the malicious acts of a sexual predator.

Chile already has one of the highest rates of abortion in South America (there are means - doctors can prescribe a medication for an illness that has the side-effect of terminating pregnancy) and those chemical abortions are relatively safe - compared to operations that take place after a certain time but would be far safer with monitoring and procedural (legal) changes.

By all means, have heavy, heavy restrictions on abortion. It is not something that should ever be done lightly but there are instances that I believe most people would agree, are acceptable. In instances where the mother has been raped and where the pregnancy would seriously endanger the life of the mother, the child, or both.

And Draco - why the Hell shouldn't I question it? Are you suddenly going to fly off the handle if someone disagrees? You're on a discussion forum where people discuss. That means we have carte blanche to question.

Last edited by BacteriumFendYoke; 07-28-2013 at 08:11 PM.