Thread: BREAKING STICKS
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 08:38 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: BREAKING STICKS

I can't remember the last time I actually BROKE a stick. The tips will chip off till it ceases to rebound properly and I'll relegate it to smoker fodder. When I use nylon tips, sometimes they pop off and they all wear out in the area where I hit rim shots and eventually I have to toss them when the grain pops loose. When I hit hats, I alternate tip/shoulder with the accent on quarters so I don't shred them on the shoulder. One of my bands is pretty heavy and loud and I hit pretty hard live but I still don't break sticks. Hell, I've had 4 or 5 hour gigs playing all kinds of stuff and I don't break them. What I learned was, drums have a limit to how hard you hit them before they cease to get any louder and the tone goes away. If you want a dead flap, then by all means, pound on it like a gorilla. However, I buy good heads and tune my drums to sound GOOD, so when I need volume, I draw as much sound as the drums will let me and let the mics and the PA do the rest of the work. In the studio, if you want a Dave Grohl dead flap sound, you still don't need to pound them till your sticks break. I have a genetic disposition for arthritis, so I'm going to do my damnedest to postpone the worst of it and not play drums like an ogre. :)