View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 06:06 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: My CUSTOM Internal Bassdrum Mic Holder System [Promo Video]

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
If you were to use only one microphone mounted inside the bass drum, why reinvent the wheel, just go with a tried and true Shu mount. It's been around for many years now and it is a Proven performer with a more robust suspension system for those wanting a semi permanent microphone suspended inside of the bass drum. I'm just going by what I've seen in the little video concerning this new double mic holder for my comparisons.

There's always the posibility of phasing problems when more than one microphone is used in close proximity to another especially if you don't know how to place them what to listen for. Who ever said this new mount was only going to be sold to good engineers. Sure, a qualified engineer will know how to deal with this, but 99% of the prospective buyers are Not engineers, they're just drummers that now have a way of inserting two microphones suspended inside of a bass drum because of some new product. You already brought to attention various phasing problems encountered on a drum kit and their causes, why would you want to initiate another, inside the bass drum itself by possibly mixing two different types of microphones?

As far as having no resonant head and using stands, this is a very common way of placing microphones inside the bass drums where I work. It all boils down to the sound that you or the producer are going after. I really can't see any of us tryimg manipulate a double mic bracket as the clock on the studio wall winds down. That being said, there is no way this new double mount can achieve the same degree of microphone manipulation or placement as with two small microphone boom stands, it's just a figment of your imagination if you believe that it can.. The only way this could possibly happen is to use goosenecks on the mount, then youi'll have a total inballance of the system.

Oh, and good luck not tearing your resonant head. I've seen quite a few heads over the years torn with just one cable exiting the drum in this manner.. simple math would give you what two cables could possibly do.

BTW, when you mention the "hole" on the top of the bass drum, are you referring to it's vent hole? Or does this mount come equipped with a 1/2" spade bit for the installation of the cables? I've never seen two quality balanced microphone cables able to feed through a single vent hole.

One last question. Are you the co-inventor of this project? lol.

Dennis
just 2 questions because i'm on the phone:
-1- why didn't you answer my questions.. :(
-2- so, why does for example(!) gavin harrison or thomas lang use multiple mics? just because he knows how to mount them? there was a time he had 3 mics. thomas lang uses 5 or 6

and I've been using 2 mics for years now and i never had phasing problems.
and no, santi didn't mean the airvent. he means that hole that is used to mount a tom holder on which is indeed a very common way in live and studio situations.
and no, he is not the co founder of this product (why on earth should this be lol? :D)
and I'm still afraid you won't hear if I pull the cables through the porthole in the resonant head or clip it on there or what ever...