View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 PM

Default Re: My CUSTOM Internal Bassdrum Mic Holder System [Promo Video]

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
It's a solution to a problem that shouldn't exist if the one (1) proper microphone is chosen to use inside of the bass drum.
I don't agree with that. This system is also valuable if you are just one microphone. The idea of suspending it in air is very convenient. You can position the mic much better and you dont need a hole in the front head to put a mic stand trough (which is pretty unhandy).

Besides, as you can just fix the system as is, you get much more consistent positioning if you are for example a gigging drummer.

Quote:
Here is my point, if someone decides to use both a condenser microphone and a dynamic microphone on your bracket and the signals are summed, which they would normally be, they will have phasing problems, it's as simple as that.
As drumkits are multi-miked, you end up with phase problems anyways. Phase relationship from overheads to tom/snare mics, bottom and top snare mics, phase relationship with room mics and so on. Phasing should not be an issue for a good engineer, he knows how to deal with it.

Quote:
BTW, how do you discreetly route the two (2) microphone cables from the bass drum. Probably through the port hole which is a bad idea for both consistant microphone placement from the pulling on the cables and resonant head life, tearing of the head. A better method of using two microphones within the drum would be to eliminate the resonant head, but then we would use stands and wouldn't have the need for a double bracket, would we?
Even if you dont have a fronthead, its more convenient as you dont need place for mic stands which is great on small drumrisers/small stages, That said, most guys run the mic cables trough the port hole, and some guys run it trough the hole on the top of the BD (if they have one) that is used for suspending a tom holder.
There is also no problem with pulling if you have sufficient cable lengths and everything is running lose.