Thread: Royal Baby
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Royal Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
No one camping out for the baby had a hand in making the baby.
I'd be happy to take a stab at that ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
'Thundering footsteps of an ant climbing the wall'.

( Sorry for riding on the slip stream of this thread, Jeff, but this post specifically is for Andy and Spleen )
Those bloody ants again Abe! I can only surmise you're playing your drums too quietly these days. Time for some rock drumming for you m'lad.

On the subject of funding the royal family (minus periphery royals), I think we should spend more, not less (let the flaming begin). No, I'm not tied up in the romance thing, but yes, I am patriotic. You can tear the finances apart as much as you like, but having travelled the world extensively in a business capacity for many years, I can assure you that, as a marketing tool for UK PLC, they're unequalled. It's not just the tourism side of things (& counting visits to royal attractions isn't a valid measure here. The royals are seen as representative of an unreal society fabric & pageant that attracts visitors per se), it's added gravitas to our country's overseas representations. Biggest mistake we (as a country) made in recent times was not replacing the royal yacht. That thing was a bloody gold mine in terms of hosting business functions overseas. Sure you can have a prime minister/president/whatever arrive in a smart aircraft & be driven through the streets in almost cavalcade style, then host a "dinner" in a local building of note, but that's hugely trumped by a queen arriving serenely in a classic yacht, dropping anchor in a location that affords a panoramic view, then hosting a classic reception. So much more class, so much more pull. If I was on a trade mission kinda deal, I know which I'd rather be associated with. The politician lead deal is impressive, the queen/royal yacht fronted deal is "special". Soap box away for the day :)