View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: any help for a hot, fat guy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracovyrn View Post
I like how you try to correct me on both, but here in America, we refer to petroleum as gas, and your form of liters is incorrect according to my auto correct. I understand that your form of the word, "litres," is correct where you're from. I appreciate the thought, though. Here in America, we learn how to spell both American and British English.
I'm fully aware of all of that. If you're asking this Englishman a question about measurements and substances, use the correct spelling and vocabulary or he's liable to get chippy.

In response to the A/C questions. No, we don't really need it. On some days it would be nice but those days are few and far between. We're just experiencing a heatwave in the UK with temperatures regularly hitting 30 Celsius (86 Fahrenheit) and it's been going on for a couple of weeks (seems to have come to an end where I am) but that is very unusual. We might get three or four days like that in patches every couple of years but an extended period is odd. Humidity is an issue but we don't actually have that much properly hot weather.

You also have to take into account the age of our housing stock. Right now, I'm writing this from a house that was probably built in the late 19th Century. Of the several addresses I've lived in over the last few years, most of them were of a similar age. Where I live, the houses tend to be Victorian, 1930s, 1950s and modern in a distinctive ring around the town centres. There are plenty of houses a few miles away that are as old as the 1450s. Fitting A/C to older properties would be destructive and with our architects being generally quite conservative, A/C is rarely designed to fit even in new houses.

Take into account the expense of fitting, how often we'd use it, the cost of maintenance and the cost of energy and it's just not something that's on our residential radar.