View Single Post
Old 07-21-2013, 04:51 AM

Default Re: Miking Drums; where to start...?

You start with 1 mic. Put it just over your head aiming down. This will approximate the drummers perspective. Keep adjusting both the position of the mic and your playing until you get a balance between the drums and the cymbals. Unidirectionals and omnis can be used, the latter includes more of the room sound than the former. I personally prefer a condenser over a dynamic for this because the cymbals sound more transparent. But that's just me.

Continue with 2 mics. Retain the overhead, add the new one to the front of the bass drum. You need this for music that requires a tight, focused kick, and if you already have lots of muffling. Kicks sound different in front than from the driver's seat (which is picked up faintly by the overhead). Most prefer dynamics for this because they can soak up more punch than a condenser, and in the process make a sound of their own which most people have come to associate with a kick drum. But again, that's just me.

Next, 3 mics. Add another one to the snare batter. Again, this will add focus and tightness to the snare, for music that needs it. It's usually at the edge, pointing slightly downward towards the middle. If you're really obsessed with the snare sound, add another one on the snare side. I do this all the time in the studio because it allows me and the engineer to add snap if the shell or head sounds lifeless.

After that, the sky's the limit. A small diaphram condenser to the high hat, mics to each tom, stereo overheads, etc.