View Single Post
Old 07-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Default Re: Communication Issues between young and elder, alike!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
I use them in a limited way, to reinforce something I'm saying, so I might write "Thank you, that helps :) "

I don't rely on what are, after all, nothing more than a grouping of punctuation marks alone to communicate the inflexion of my voice or my facial expression, so I wouldn't use them in an attempt to turn a sarcastic comment into a light-hearted one, unless I knew the person I was addressing very, very well - and I don't know anybody on here sufficiently.

When they are used in that way, I find it a bit arrogant (for want of a better word) because the writer is expecting the reader to make the effort to understand what s/he means, whereas I think the onus is on the writer to make him/herself clear. Having a joke and a laugh can often be done far better orally than in writing. My personal rule of thumb: if it reads snidey, sarky or mean without the emoticon, re-write it until it doesn't.
I think that was really well put Magenta. I employ the 'preview post' button (sometimes repeatedly) and make the 'necessary' changes...sometimes I give up without posting as I am not confident I have worded something properly..
I also think you're very accurate with the onus being on the writer as well as the reader...good post.