View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Joe Walsh - The truth about music

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Thanks for that clear post, Duncan. You have stated it much more eloquently than this big-headed Idaho boy could have.
I've seen it time and time again.

There's a promoter that I've come across in the past that wouldn't pay bands (or even his own staff) properly. Some of the gigs were busy but when I was on that scene six years ago, I knew the names of most of the audience because they were regulars. If somebody has already seen you, they're not a new potential marketing opportunity. Exposure in the truest sense is having as many new and different people see your band and new people won't come to a gig unless there's somebody playing that they want to see. Bands that are worth seeing charge a fee for playing.

I'm not a marketer and have very little interest in business but even I can see that free products are usually free for a reason. Who wants to see little Timmy play with his friends on a Saturday night for a 5 when they can see Mr. and Mrs. Big-shot down the road at a much better venue for 25? Nobody except little Timmy's parents.