View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Joe Walsh - The truth about music

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
I don't know who you're talking about.

But personally, I would be making music at any cost, under any condition. And I would be very weary of any painter of any writer who gave up their craft because of money. If the passion goes away when the money goes away, then you weren't an artist to begin with.

p.s. I'm not sure why people are interpreting what I'm saying as 'musicians shouldn't get paid'.
I assume you mean wary, not weary...

Anyway, I know you don't know who I'm talking about. Again, that is my point. These are people I personally know (or knew), who, despite several people's ignorant, uninformed assertions, where excellent musicians who made better music than most of the crap I hear on YouTube and the radio. They did indeed stop pursuing music as a career, because they couldn't make a decent living at it, and that's what I'm talking about - not just making money, but making a living. They may or may not still play, but they stopped trying to make a living at it, and spending their time and effort providing you with a service that hardly anyone appreciates as valuable. (Someone in this very thread said that music is not a valuable service.)

Yes, I know people find ways to make money making music. I think it's ridiculous and naive to assume that these people are somehow more genuine artists, just because they've figured out how to make ad money off of YouTube hits or whatever it is they need to do. To me, that makes them as much salesmen as artists. The statements such as "if they were true artists they would find a way to make it" are silly and childish, in my opinion.

Perhaps the true artists are the ones who refuse to whore themselves out and jump through whatever hoops the current economy requires, and say take it on my terms or you're not getting it.

Just food for thought.

As an afterthought - I know people say "free" music and the technology that made it possible is here to stay, so get used to it. They may be right, but we'll see. The technology we deal with today was unimagined when I was young, and I daresay there are things on the way that none of us have imagined, too.

EDIT - I want to apologize for the tone of this message and acknowledge that there are still viable ways for an artist to make a living in music, and I DON'T wish to detract from them or imply that those who are successful are necessarily less of an artist. Some of the things I wrote could be construed to say any musician who is successful today is more salesman than artist, and that's not what I meant.

Quite the contrary - what pissed me off was the implication that people who choose NOT to pursue the music business as it exists today couldn't possibly be real artists, and that their choice was somehow an indictment of their love for music and their character as artists. That is simply wrong, and because I know some of these folks personally, it's a heated topic.

Last edited by IDDrummer; 07-17-2013 at 03:39 PM. Reason: EDIT