View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Ludwig Lug Splay Solution

Originally Posted by Les Ismore
... or maybe their molds have shrunk.

So have I, mate. So have I.

That's what life does to us....

It's quite possible that the drums arrive with no splay at all.

So, order LUDWIG and 'pray' they arrive with good fit/finish. Is that where its at with the old lion? Is that the message informed/caring potential customers (with plenty of other drum brand options) are getting from these drum forums??

I haven't seen splay on other drum brands but then again, I wasn't really looking for it either. I noticed it on the Ludwigs only because I've known of the issue beforehand.

Dude, you're reading way too many drum forums. Believe 'only' what you read on DRUMMERWORLD and then only w/caution.

So with a solution seemingly out of reach (hah!!), the next question is whether or not it would affect the drum's tuning or durability (e.g. stripped rods, stripped lugs, etc). Since the receivers have some play in them I'm guessing not, but has anyone had this issue as a direct result of the splayed lugs?

The LUDWIGGIES have responded, there's a 'swivel nut' in the lug, which is an ancient part invented to counter design inconsistencies. In the days of yore tube lug designs ruled, but you had/have to be somewhat precise when threading screws into tube lugs. The swivel nut solved this problem, build tolerances could be way off, the screwer could be drunk, high (way off) and the swivel nut insert would come to the rescue of the screwee and save thread.

In general lug splay is unsightly, take it as you may. For some it can be a major issue, especially when a company is selling a pricy snare drum/kit with tension rods jacked all over the place. Then you're in the shop and see a new $100 snare drum that's lined up perfectly, like they might have used a computer in the design process, hmmmm, or at least the proper math, or any math at all. It begs the question 'why'? This is the 21st century, our cell phones are smaller, more powerful than the computers that got us to the moon and back. Lug splay??? C'mon, who's paying for that!!

Some people are perfectionists, more detail conscious. They'll see a kit onstage, or a $2000.00 snare with rods jacked all over the place and equate it with low quality, they can't justify dumping all that cash and it not being perfect... and in this day and age it should be. Your character may then be in question too, like "Why you would spend your money on that, are you as un together as your drums(?)" etc. The influence of brand loyalty and a companies steep heritage could cause one to overlook certain things. Good for the manufacture...maybe for awhile, until the competition starts getting fatter.

In the case of LUDWIG it may be a matter of something like changing an established design will be a big ha$$el, they might not feel the effort is worth the cost, they've got some more splaining to do. The reality is any new, or old-skool builder can look at their faux pas and say "Hey, we can easily fix that... and our stuff will look more together"! That's exactly what's happening.

On the bright side lug splay does help hold tuning, especially on tube lugs. If rods/lugs are lined up perfectly in tube lugs, there's a better chance of detuning from vibration as the friction of the misalignment (lug splay) produces a little holding power. Ditto on lug designs with inserts (swivel nuts), the more out of wack the splay, the more friction equaling better holding power. That's been my experience anyway. There's variables, like how well the threads are cut etc. which in the case of 2013 the threads are cut more precise with consistency. In the old days loose threads meant lug splay was not as effective as it is in modern/higher tolerance times. Some old SUPRAS (when they were new) even with excessive lug splay didn't hold tuning worth a crap, thread tolerances were inconsistent. As the drums aged, tolerances (if lucky) were taken up (somewhat) by the effects of time on the material, usually in the form of corrosion.

Last edited by Les Ismore; 07-05-2013 at 11:12 PM.