View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Why are we addicted to vintage drums?

Quote:
Last year I bought a 2012 Ludwig Club Date kit. It has characteristics of vintage drums that I grew up with. I realized that I wanted a vintage kit again. I had never owned a 60's Ludwig kit so I searched until I found one that suited me.
I also bought one when they came out. Great little kit. Not the greatest hardware but what can you expect at that price point. But there were some things that annoyed me and it made me think of how irritating it must have been for those classic drummers having to deal with those issues. Video of Elvin Jones struggling to keep his bass drum from creeping away comes to mind. Still, I did like the sound and vibe from that kit and I sometimes wish I still had it.

Quote:
Because if it was good enough for Buddy, Gene, Joe, and the rest, it should be good enough for us.
That's an interesting point too. But did they merely just put up with the inconveniences? If Jo Jones was alive today, would he play a modern kit or stay with a vintage kit?

Quote:
If you want vintage sound out of modern drums, then you're limited to just a few choices
Exactly. In my opinion Ludwig and Gretsch are the only two of the original "Big Four" that still offer a blast from the past...and that's only because Slingerland and Rogers are no more. After them, you gotta go to a boutique company and the problem I often see there is not so much a faithful reproduction of a vintage kit as an "interpretation" of the vintage sound and vibe...cause obviously they want to make their own individual mark that sets them apart from the other boutiques...and nothing wrong with that at all. I agree about DW. Nothing I've heard from them comes close to the vintage sound. Too much attack and resonance.

Quote:
That's the whole beauty of it, man. No point in fighting it. They'll make you happy, and there aren't enough things in life that accomplish that, so take 'em when you find 'em, I say.
Yea, I still want a bona fide vintage kit. But I will take my time with it. It will never get gigged. It would just be my own personal indulgence so I could connect with those great drummers and the exciting times they lived in. I think I was born in the wrong decade lol. For me the sweet spot is late 40's to late 50's. Sooooo much experimentation going on. Bebop, early rock, pop, plus you still have the big bands around even though they were waning.

Quote:
add Craviotto to the list Harry
I played a monoply Craviotto snare that one of the local shops ordered as a tester of sorts for Crav's sound. A fine drum with a fit and finish second to none. But it wasn't spectacular or mind-blowing. Just a really nice drum. I'd could never drop the kind of money they want for their kits though. But all that steambending is labor intensive so I can see why it costs as much as it does.