View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Why are we addicted to vintage drums?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Vintage shells typically respond better at lower dynamic, & deliver more initial tone at mid dynamic than modern shells...
Yes. This.

In another thread, somebody had mentioned that you "need" to play drums loud in order to get the tone that you want, or to allow the drum sound to fully open up. I suppose that's why I dig my vintage drums over my modern drums--the tone that's present at all dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
These imperfections give these instruments their personality. They are not the cookie cutter drums of today. They are each unique.
I like that :)
Yes. Same thing with hand-hammered cymbals. There will be noticeable differences from one kit/snare/cymbal to the next. They each have their own personality and expressive qualities. Getting to explore that is a wonderful part about play vintage gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
So true Al. I still like my isolation mounts though. They do make a big difference to my ear.
To me as well. I play a 1970 Ludwig Downbeat kit as my main gigging kit. I experimented with putting a RIMS mount on the rack tom, and it made a world of difference in the sustain. So, it became a vintage-sounding drum with a more modern-sounding sustain. Best of both worlds!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195