Originally Posted by Bo Eder
Precede the refund with an ultimatum that you have to have it on such a day to receive it in time, though. Give them a bit of time to do good, say another 5 days? If it means they have to overnight it, then they should. Definitely get with the manager.
After letting them know that the 11th won't cut it, he notified me that it would be overnighted immediately. Then shortly after i got a shipping confirmation. Maybe they decided to expedite my ring and send it ASAP?
Gotta wait for a reply, i asked to double check that they're sending me the good one, not a jacked up one haha. this time zone thing is really draggin it out though since he's off work when i wake up..