View Single Post
Old 07-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best Mac for Logic Pro

The biggest bottleneck in most systems now is the HDD. Having solid-state main storage would be a significant boon. That means a Macbook Air (13.3" with 8Gb of RAM), 15" 'Standard' Pro with an SSD (more expense for the upgrade but a more powerful system than the Air) or a Retina model (the 15" has a much better GPU arrangement).

My 2009 MacBook Pro is significantly less powerful than the more recent models. It can handle Logic (I use Reaper, but I used to use Logic) well but I've only ever used a maximum of eight tracks simultaneously. I'd actually be reasonably confident that a higher-end MacBook Air would handle things quite well - the i7 'Turbo Boost' feature is significant so even though the listed clock speed is 'only' 1.3GHz, it'll overclock itself to more than that.

In your position, I would buy a 15" non-retina MacBook Pro and get an SSD installed. That would be your best value proposition. With an SSD I'm sure my older model could handle audio even better and it does relatively well with an HDD. An SDD would be a solid improvement.

Last edited by BacteriumFendYoke; 07-04-2013 at 12:00 AM.